Numerous local business owners might have heard the term ‘Search engine optimization’ (or SEO) from colleagues within their business or perhaps rivals and also may consider it as a way to enhance sales.What is Search Engine Optimization? A company owner might have attempted ‘SEO services’ in the past and discovered it either didn’t work as well as anticipated or was working, however no longer reliable. This post discusses exactly what SEO is, and why current age SEO is working much better than ever.
We can have a look back at SEO through the years and discuss exactly what SEO is today and how can we use it for our site.
Search Engine Optimization in 2000
Sites were a couple of pages with basic info. SEO practices at that time were to ‘conceal’ as many keywords on a page as possible, so the site was discovered for those searches without making the page spammy for visitors.Back at the beginning , the online search engines that majority of people were making use of were Lycos and Excite. Naturally, at that time a small percent of the population had accessibility to the net and also those that did have a slow-moving ‘dial-up’ system.
In 2002 Google released something called ‘AdWords’ which was considered to be complete replacement for SEO. Individuals need to spend more to get page one rankings enabling visitors to find their website pages.At the very same time Google became aware that ‘AdWords’ was not going to eliminate SEO process and that ‘all-natural listings’ urged site visitors back to their search engine system. Google began to acknowledge ‘ Search Engine Optimization specialists’ instead compared to spamming.
2004 saw the initial internet site ‘outlawed’ from the web as Google found that such sites were spamming search engines. In between 2004 and 2008 Google, currently was the only actual “gamer” in the online search engine globe, began taking legal actions against such firms and also methods responsible for spamming Google. The algorithms were changed frequently to fight ‘Spammers’ who used”mischievous” Search Engine Optimization techniques for quick rankings.Google focused on ranking sites based upon their web content and also it’s importance to the search being executed.
Search Engine Optimization in 2010
Between 2010 and 2015 we started to see the search engines take notice of ‘Social Media’ sites and soon the results were filled with Twitter ‘tweets’ in the results. Most of the business owners while searching Google for business found first page of the search results were compiled of tweets of a Twitter conversation complaining about these businesses. That surely started to impact the thinking and strategies of businesses to make their services more customer oriented. Social Media thus started to evolve as more and more people used it as a medium to communicate with the world. Videos and images were also brought in to the search results with the Google ‘Caffeine’ update.
Google introduced “personal search results” with the websites shown in Google based on your previous searches and websites you had visited before. This caused a ‘bit of a stir’ in the SEO world as customers claimed their websites were “top of Google” for any search they did related to their industry, just because they had visited their own website many times before, so Google of course fed them back the website for all relevant searches. This can still be a bit of an issue until you show them the new ‘Google Incognito search’.
The focus on ranking websites was on being found for BIG keywords. A ‘Carpet Cleaner’ in Bristol would want to rank for that search, and so that was the focus.Local SEO was needed for such specific terms being targeted by businesses in their local areas.Google ‘Panda’ and ‘Penguin’ updates figuratively killed off ‘link exchanges’ with huge penalties for websites who had irrelevant links pointing towards them. At the same time Google introduced “no follow links” to allow websites to provide relevant links to other websites and information without penalizing either party. It was the start of “safe linking”. Quality and relevant content was now the key to ranking in the search engines.
Search Engine Optimization in 2019 And Beyond…
Checkout on what exactly SEO is and which factors govern this terminology in practice.
With Google Algorithms being updated every month its important to keep your site updated with following factors which we found to be working quite positively.
1. Switch To HTTP/2 : Switching to HTTP/2 can help in loading speed of webpages and its one of the Google’s largest factor of emphasis. An understanding of how this process impacts page speed is a must to be effective in search engine optimization process. We’ve been using HTTP/1.1 since 1999. HTTP/2 is a large departure from HTTP/1.1, and I encourage you to read up on it. This will make a dramatic contribution to page speed.
2. Target Fewer Derivations Of Keywords : Keyword research and targeting will continue to change drastically in 2017 and beyond. RankBrain is starting to have an impact on rankings. It already understands abbreviations, acronyms, plurals, synonyms, and even answers. The implications for SEO is that fewer derivations of keywords need to be targeted. Marketers that understand that will have a keen edge in an ever-growing competitive landscape.
3. Stick To The Basics : Google wants to be relevant and its goal is to provide the most relevant website to the search entered. Forget about the algorithms and follow consumer behavior. If we watch for trends, we’ll notice that consumers now are more drawn to short videos and images, so steer away from bulky text. Give the consumer what they want, and let the search engines do their job.
4. Use Google As A Bellwether: Google is the standard for SEO and that won’t change anytime soon. Be sure to keep on top of any updates they come out with. The biggest thing to watch? Mobile-first content. Now that searching has moved to being primarily mobile focused, content that shows on your mobile will take precedent in search engine crawling and ranking.
5. Focus On UX : With RankBrain and machine learning, search engines have gotten much smarter at determining what makes a good search result. Age-old keyword ranking factors still exist, but SEO and UX need to merge as search engines start rewarding sites that deliver a great customer experience and fast load times. In the near future, over-optimized sites based on keywords will start losing out to great UX.
6. Clarify Your Intent : SEO is no longer about choosing certain keywords but is about clarifying intent. Brands need to ensure that their online content is based around intent and what users want to find when they search for your brand. Cross-channel marketing will become more important in 2017 as well and will affect the SEO viability of a company’s pages.
7. Hire Ethical SEOs : The “good old days” of gaming Google by buying links and over-optimizing keywords is over and in its place is a super-smart machine learning algorithm called RankBrain. Like most forms of artificial intelligence, RankBrain is getting smarter as it identifies patterns and penalizes those unscrupulous actors that attempt to game Google. It’s time to hire only ethical SEOs with proven track records.
8. Improve Your Site Speed And Limit Errors : In 2017, site speed will play an even larger role in SEO, but in different ways than before. Developing sites in AMP, moving to https:// and other technical changes can lead to server side issues like overly abundant redirects, 404s or orphaned pages, which slow down the speed of the entire site and kill usability. Making sure the site functions 100% after making such changes will be a top priority.
9. Shift To Mobile First Indexing : In November 2016, Google began using mobile-first indexing for mobile content for all search rankings. SEO strategies will shift towards mobile devices and a change in the priorities of SEOs to measure the impact of algorithm updates on mobile first indexing. Also, the mobile UX and mobile search intent will become increasingly important.
10. Have Quality Backlinks : One of the biggest off-site ranking factors is backlinks — links that point to your site from other websites. In the past, it was all about quantity. However, Google has quickly caught on to this strategy and modified their algorithm so that it can now differentiate a reliable link from a questionable link. Brands need to make sure their backlinks come from high-quality sources.
11. Move From Content Production To Content Library : Content frequency, recency and relevance were previously rewarded with a great ranking. This isn’t the case anymore. Search engine users and search engines are now trying to find the amazing content — a highly researched, multi-media, organized piece of content that provides great value. Companies need to stop producing and compete with the best library to attract and retain the best readers.
Additionally, important Onsite factors can be found in following image. It can be used as one of the checklists for all your onsite factors.
All these Factors are a tedious job for a person or a business owner to handle without a team of seo professionals.With proper search and results oriented company you can achieve positive results and increased ROI.
If you need some points to be covered here please leave your expertised suggestion in comments.